Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Making the Beast a Buttercup

The 48kg kettlebell, dubbed the beast in the kettlebell world, is usually the biggest kettlebell a brand manufactures.  It’s sheer size intimidates. This kettlebell has gained a mystique with challenges like the Beast Tamer, where you have to strict press, pull up, and pistol squat with this massive cannonball with a handle.

For a long time, I was able to only press the beast on a good day. No matter how much I 'greased the groove' with light weights or low repetition ladders, I was still inconsistent with pressing the beast. About 6 months ago, everything changed when my focus shifted from kettlebell pressing to strongman pressing events.

I got a chuckle out of my peers moving the beast so easily. Awesome moment for me.
After a 3-month strongman program I grabbed the beast to test my press for my StrongFirst Level II certification. I was shocked how light it felt. After a few sessions of programming the kettlebell press back into my routine, I was able to hit 8 strict presses! The weight that was my max is now a pumping weight. 

"How did you make that look so light?!" 

This is the question I was asked at least 10 times at the StrongFirst Cert. in May after I pressed the Beast like it was filled with air. My answers stunned the people asking, which stunned me that they were even stunned from my answer. Stunning!

1. Get bigger shoulders
Is this really in question? A bigger muscle has greater strength potential. Often, people don't give the hypertrophy phase of their program proper attention. I spent 2 days a week working on my upper pecs, deltoids, and triceps- all the prime movers of the press. We can talk about how important the lats are or to crush your grip, but when it's time to put that weight overhead you need the shoulders to do the work.

My top exercises were incline bench press, close grip bench press, standing barbell military press, front raises, overhead tricep extensions, and tricep pressdowns. This isn't rocket surgery; these are all traditional body building exercises. Keep it simple, stupid swolemate.

2. Move more weight
Manipulating force is more complicated than just pumping up small muscles with body building exercises, but doesn't need to be over complicated. We can debate the differences between pressing events, but the beast press is just taking 105lbs from the rack position to overhead. If the body cannot support 100 lbs. in either position, there is no way you will be able to strict press it.

Tension building exercises like bottoms up kettlebell lifts will improve technique and mastery of the press, but is not enough force on the joints, ligaments, and tendons to achieve maximum strength. When you perform exercises that overload the body like front squats and barbell overhead pressing you are applying more force than with a 48kg kettlebell. When you can barbell press 200+ lbs. the beast won't weigh you down so much on your next attempt.

Sample Program:

Weeks 1-4 Hypertrophy 3-5 sets, 6-12 reps
Incline Bench, DB Bench, DBL KB Press, Tricep/Deltoid work, Pushups for pump

Weeks 5-10 Strength  4-6 sets, 3-6 reps
Log Press, Close Grip Bench, Landmine Press, Tricep Work, Turkish Get ups

Weeks 11-12 Peaking 5-8 sets, 1-3 reps
One arm KB Press, Incline Bench/Log press, Planche/One arm pushups, Heavy Turkish Get ups/Windmills

*2x a week, alternated vertical and horizontal pressing between sessions

Using these methods during the hypertrophy and strength phases of a program will have a positive impact on your musculature and, ultimately, on your pressing ability. Add the lower repetition kettlebell pressing back into the peaking phase of your program and watch the Beast float to the ceiling.

1 comment:

  1. woah very interesting exercise. Kettle is one of the best portable fitness gear. It easy to use but also tricky. sometime you need PT to use it well. search kettle at fitnesskoerier.nl

    ReplyDelete